Monday, July 02, 2007

The Crimson Wave

A few weeks ago I officially joined the Alameda Bike Gang. The gang started just over a year ago when I moved to Alameda and Courtney, Sarah and I decided that we would start a gang and beat up other people in the ward that didn't live on the island. However, since I didn't have a bike, I couldn't really go on the gang bike rides. When Gnu moved to the island he instantly became a member of the gang and threatened my expulsion from the gang because I didn't have a bike. Therefore, in an effort to keep myself in the club, I finally bought a bike.



Even at the risk of making this sound like a Craig's List posting (where I actually found the bike) I will continue to talk about it. According to the previous owner this is a 50's Schwinn World Tour Cruiser. I have no idea if that is correct or what that even means, but I love it! It has a basket. It is red...well, like a burnt redish color. It has one speed so I don't have to worry about all of that gear shifting thing. It has a foot brake, again, I don't have to worry about all that handle bar stuff. It is perfect for getting around the flat little island I call home.



Now, when the gang goes out late at night to cause trouble, I can go too. This bike has been around the block so many times, I can't even count. It's furthest trip has been a late night run to the library to return an overdue book. I still need to get myself a bike lock--I'm paranoid that it'll disappear the second I leave it somewhere even with a lock on it (can you blame me? Who wouldn't want this beauty?) I also need to get a helmet. Although I personally don't like helmets and am sure I will look like a total dweeb in one, I am pro-safety and tend to follow such safety guidelines (seat belts, closed toed shoes at Lagoon, etc.) in an effort to conform to society and regulations determined by the man. That and I think dying by getting my head bashed in during a bike accident would totally suck. So, I need to get these two things, and I will then ride my bike more often.



Today is the perfect day to go for an afternoon bike ride along the beach. Check out my shadow. That is the shadow of someone wishing she was on the bike and not wearing a dress thus preventing a "G-rated" bike ride for the kids in the neighborhood (read--I don't want to go around flashing my white biker shorts underneath my dress).



The Alameda bike gang is always looking for newcomers. All you need is something with wheels (a bike, long board, roller skates, Razor scooter, etc.). If we get big enough we could be in contention for a spot in the parade next year.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Finally, a post about your red bike! It is everything i expected AND more!

Lori said...

Very cute bike. But I thought Crimson Wave means something else...

Amanda said...

I love you bike. I to have a red bike--does that mean I can be in the club??

alisa said...

natalie: i'm glad it was everything you were imagining.

lori: yes, the crimson wave does mean something else so in essence, i'm always riding the crimson wave...horribly disgusting and, thankfully, untrue but quite funny.

amanda: first of all, it is a gang not a club. and second, you live in arkansas; gang meetings are in alameda.