Wednesday, February 27, 2008

This is Our Time to Dance



It must be said that I love Kevin Bacon. And how could a true fan of the 80s not love Footloose? How wonderful is the part where Kevin Bacon is talking to the city council trying to convince them to change the law and allow a senior dance? What did David say? Leaping and dancing....leaping and dancing before the Lord. Anyway, it is a cinematic masterpiece.

Now I did recently watch this movie with Amy, but that is not why I bring it up now. Courtney and I splurged and subscribe to basic cable. This means we get the typical channels (fox, abc, nbc, cbs, cw, pbs, etc), two bonus channels (tnt, tbs), several sport channels (espn, espn, espn--in fact we have two of the same channel--I'm not sure how many of them are all espn, but espn has like a million channels), a handful of Spanish stations, the Chinese station, a few others in the middle that I'm not sure what they are, and the Alameda channel. I often watch the Alameda channel when it is showing the bridges and Alameda point in rotation. No words or music or news or anything worthwhile happens, just the same three shots of Alameda rotating. Well, tonight I discovered that they sometimes have actual programming on the Alameda channel. Tonight was the city council meeting. I stopped on the channel just long enough to hear this: "Closing the swimming pools at Encinal high would literally make us an island with no swimmers." A young high school student was passionately making his argument for funding and support to keep the swimming pools open. I was intrigued and had to watch. It was just like Footloose. Only this time it was swimming instead of dancing. Let the children swim. It was wonderful.

Reason #1558 Why I Love Alameda!

5 comments:

courtney said...

"an island without swimmers"... that brought a tear to my eye. we must join the fight, alisa. WE MUST JOIN THE FIGHT!

courtney said...

also--nice pit stain in that photo.

kellie said...

i love footloose

alisa said...

we all love footloose.

Lori said...

That's cool the kid was fighting for what he believed in. Maybe the crazy, bible bashers were saying that swimming was getting the kids all horny what with them being all wet, with tight-fitting clothing and what not.