Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Case of Mistaken Identity

As you all know, I often get mistaken for someone younger than I am. I've noticed that as I get older, the bottom age gets a bit older as well. For instance, it's been about 2 years since I was asked if I was old enough to sit in an exit row. And it's been about 4 years since I was mistaken for an unaccompanied minor. (Not all cases of mistaken identity have occurred while traveling--these are just the two examples I thought of quickly).

I can never really expect this phenomenon to end. I'm sure I'll always be mistaken for much younger than I am. First of all, I've got those Lloyd genes that keep me looking young. Second, the chubby cheeks. Third, the youthful personality (read: immaturity). The list goes on.

However, I may have secretly hoped that starting business school would eliminate these instances. Business students are professional and respected, etc, etc. Unfortunately, not everyone got the memo.

I was unaware that you have to be 18 to by Nyquil. I bought some at Walgreens yesterday. The cashier rang me up and looked at my kind of funny. The she said, "You're 18, right?" I replied, "Yes." She kept looking at me funny so I then said, "Do you need to see my ID?" I took it out of my wallet and handed it to her. She looked at it and a look of shock and embarrassment crossed her face. I'm probably the oldest person she's ever carded.

And no, this isn't the first time I've been mistaken for someone much younger in the last three weeks since my move to New York. And yes, I know I will be grateful when I'm old....everyone tells me this. I have my suspicions though. Honestly, I'm not complaining, just sharing the funniness that is my life.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

ha ha thanks for the laugh

kjjbaker said...

are you feeling better?

alisa said...

unfortunately, i am still sick. thank you for inquiring. i hate being sick but love the attention! i'm quite hopeful that i'm over the worst and should be medication free by the first part of next week.