Saturday, September 06, 2008

In Other Food Scouting News...

New York is definitely lacking in the delicious Mexican food; however, it tries to overcompensate for it in the fine, delicious cupcake (and bakery goods) segment. I heart cupcakes and am living in the mecca land for cupcakes. To aid in my cupcake tour of New York, my dear friend Mark gave me a list of places to check out. I've decided to visit each location on the list. Every Saturday I will go to a new place. (every Saturday may be defined loosely as Saturdays that I actually get around to waking up and leaving my apartment). Look out for future posts with other tales of cupcakes and treats.

Treat Tour Stop #1: Two Little Red Hens





It was a sunny Saturday afternoon (note this was last Saturday since this week's Saturday was rainy as you will read later on), we ventured up to the Upper East Side and quickly found the shop.

Per the recommendation, here I am with my friend Young enjoying a Lemon something--Lemon Cloud was recommended but the only lemon cupcake was named something else. A delicious lemon cupcake with lemon curd filling. The second recommendation: Brooklyn Blackout. A chocolate cupcake filled with chocolate pudding. Very delicious and very rich. I'm pretty sure both Young and I were unable to finish both halfs of cupcakes before getting sick.

Treat Tour Stop #2: Levain Bakery

I realized that I forgot my camera when I was already in the subway. So, rather than spending $2 to leave and re-enter, I decided to take mental pictures and bring cookies home to take pictures of later.

I ventured up to the Upper West Side this time. Rain was in the forecast which meant that the weather was balmy hot and humid. It was gross. Growing up in the dry west, I really can't do humid well. I've spent a fair amount of time over on the Upper East Side, but not the West. It's adorable. At least the few blocks I saw along 74th. Again, I quickly found the bakery.

Already a small line was forming, good sign. I got in line and wished that they had air conditioning inside their little bakery. It was hot. I tried to look over shoulders and between people to make sure I knew what I wanted by the time I got to the counter. I hate being that guy who holds up the line festering on the decision at hand, especially when there is a line. I hate the people at Ici (in Berkeley) who wait in line for an hour just to get to the front and have to taste every single flavor of ice cream before taking another 10 minutes deciding. Take a chance, man! Anyway, after looking at the options, I knew I'd have to get multiple cookies. They have four flavors: chocolate chip walnut, double chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and chocolate peanut butter. Since I'm against all shriveled grapes, I chose one each of the other three and was on my way.



Since it wasn't raining yet, I decided a stroll through the park would be very New Yorkey of me. It was. In fact, some out-of-towners who spoke Spanish asked me if I was American and if I lived here. I replied with a nod. Then they said I should be really proud to live somewhere so beautiful. I am proud to live here. However, I don't really think that I can take credit for the beauty. Oh well, guess they think I can. So, I'm just letting you all know, I'm the reason New York is so great!

The rain started slowly so I headed to the subway. Humidity picked up and I wanted to pass out while waiting for the super late subway. I got to my stop and did a mad dash to my building. It's like 50 feet away and I was drenched. Yay torrential rain!

I got home, took pictures and have been snacking on the chocolate chip cookie. It's pretty amazing.

4 comments:

Ang said...

Oh yum. Yum Yum Yum. I have yet to find great cupcake places here in Phoenix. Keep up the tour of cupcakes/bakeries. I was drooling on my computer they looked so good.

kellie said...

Hurray for cupcakes. I love baked goods.

Amanda said...

Yummy--I knew New York would be cooler because of you!

courtney said...

that last picture looked steamy and gooey. two weeks of business school has lready made you an excellent marketer, cuz i want those sooooo bad.

by the way--I'm the one trying all the flavors at ici, and it's NOT because i can't decide. it's because i want to try all the flavors. hmmph!