Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I miss you Romero and Sons

Oh, how I miss you Romero and Sons. I miss you so much. So, so much. For those of you non-Alamedians, let me explain. Romero and Sons is the local taqueria on the island. I have no idea what else is on the menu besides the chile verde super burrito (a large feat for anyone to master) and the child's chile verde burrito (the perfect size to avoid the 'i hate myself' stuffed feeling). This is not all folks. Amigo (the guy who works there and has a crush on Mackenzie) not only knows us, but he knows what we order. It's wonderful not having to repeat back the same order every week. Yes, every week. And finally, it is so h-ing delicious is going to make me cry right now just thinking about it. Yummmmm. So delicious.

Enter New York City. The city that never sleeps. The center of the universe. One (myself) who think that finding equally amazing burritos for the same affordable price would be no big deal. I was wrong. I've yet to scour the entire city, but to date my research has come up short. First of all, finding a dive taqueria is not easy. Luckily, I received two menus under my door from "local" tex-mex joints. Tonight I decided to check one out. I google mapped them both and chose the closer of the two. I live on 14th Street. The restaurant was on 24th Street. This should have tipped me off. 10 blocks is not worth it--unless it was Romero and Sons. Second, I walked in and it smelled like Chinese food. Again, I should have just turned around. Third, everyone there was Asian. Now, I have nothing against Asians--I love them, truly I do. But my concern lies in the fact that they may not be the best resource to make my Mexican burrito. With all of these red flags starring me in the face, I walked up to the counter and ordered a chicken burrito with no guacamole or tomatoes--yes, that is correct I hate both of these things yet love Mexican food. I gave the lady $5.85 and waited. She put food in a bag and set it on the counter in front of me. I asked, is this mine? She replied with a grunt. Assuming this was yes, I picked it up. Then they all yelled at me for taking somebody else's food. This would never have happened at Romero and Sons. Only Mackenzie gets embarrassed there when Amigo flirts with her. (Sorry Mackenize, I love you!!) Honestly, I was relieved because what was put in the bag was tiny. Two bites would have completed that meal. I'm not a big eater, but I can do more than two bites. I wait another minute and a large burrito is wrapped in foil and given to me.

I get home and ride the elevator up with a fellow Californian who is on a similar quest to find good Mexican. He too has been unsuccessful to date. I get to my apartment, poor myself a glass of water and open the burrito. It's wrapped like a taco. That's right, stuff is spilling out the sides. I have to eat over the sink to avoid sleeping with my food later (it's a tiny apartment where the bed functions as all furniture--see the pictures from the previous post). Needless to say, I will not be trekking the 10 blocks north again to enjoy that burrito again. I wonder if I'll even finish the second half now residing in my fridge.

Well, congratulations on surviving the long post with no pictures. For your efforts, I give you this:


Look at me and that 'go get 'em' attitude. I'm off to my first day of school. Yesterday was my first day of school. Luckily I only had two classes. Today I was not so lucky as I had three classes. Monday will be even worse with three classes and one of them being like 3 hours long....yuck!

For some reason, I hate myself. In registering for classes, I consciously decided to get all of the "hard" classes out of the way first semester to be able to therefore enjoy the rest of time at school. How did I ever think this was a good idea? Usually, I'm one for ignoring the "hard" situations in hopes that they go away. Could it be that I'm growing? Doubtful.

Well, because of this moment of insanity here is my schedule: Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Strategy. Now some would say, that's not bad, you're a wimp. These are the other 50 or so people that have my exact same schedule (yes, we see a lot of each other). To them, I stick out my tongue and say I do marketing. That's usually enough for them to get a knowing look on their faces as they nod in understanding. It's going to be a fun semester!!

4 comments:

Renee said...

First: Love the do. Not sure if it's new because I haven't seen you in like a year and a half...but it becomes you and your new york lifestyle.

Second: You will never find good mexican in New York. The East Coast in general is notorious for no/terrible mexican, particularly for those of us from the West. Some of my friends that lived there said they scoured for years and came up with squat. So...happy searching! Just think...it will make visiting Alemeda that much more appealing!

Amanda said...

YOu can do it-you are super women!! Good luck with the homework and the quest for the perfect burrito--love ya

LifeisPeachey said...

Bad news! Your fellow friend from TX has been on the same quest for 7motnhs now... and I've all but given up hope for good mexican food. For all the things NY has going for it, this is not one of them. Maybe we can befriend some old Mexican ladies and convince them to cook for us.

See Mack Snow said...

Don't get me wrong, I love Amigo, too. Sometimes it just gets a bit awkward. Except that he's super adorable and bashful, so really it's not that awkward. I just make a big deal about it. :)

P.S. love you too :)