Saturday, February 24, 2007

Exhaustion

I like to spend my weekends sleeping and watching television (tv on dvd: scrubs, felicity, arrested development, etc) and reading. When I first moved to the bay area a year ago, I would try and do something touristy every Saturday so when friends and family would come visit I would know what was cool, how to get there, how much it cost and all that stuff you rely on the locals for. I wanted to quickly acclamate myself to become a local. Well, this lasted for quite a bit. I went to several museums and discovered great shopping and cafes. I would basically wake up 10ish, take my time getting ready and then leave on my 1-2 adventure. I was back home and napping by 3 or 4 in time to get ready for the evening portion of the day.

Well, this is the same way that I vacation except it is everyday of the vacation not just Saturday. In fact, this is a Baker tradition. We go somewhere, sleep in every day, read a ton of books, watch Pride and Prejudice and get out for a 2-3 hour adventure each day. These adventures can range from a hike, to shopping, to sight seeing, to laying out at the pool. All four of my brothers-in-law were shocked (and most likely appalled) with the Baker Family Vacation. My dad has never enjoyed this either--he likes to get up early and go exploring. Well, the girls like to actually "vacation" and do nothing.

You can only imagine the adjustment it is on me when I'm forced to vacation with people that are wake up and early and adverture types. Last weekend, Courtney had three friends come into town: 63, Chip and Sean. I'd met dreamy-eyed Sean already when he was in town last year for business. I'd heard tons and tons of stories about 63 and was excited to meet him. I'd heard a couple of stories about Chip and was also excited to meet him. Most of all, I was excited to meet three of the guys that play pivotal roles in almost all of Courtney's stories and anecdotes.

I had to work on Thursday and Friday, so I didn't see them much. However, I met up with them after work on Friday. This was the beginning of a marathon for me. I met them at CityLights Bookstore in North Beach. Then we walked through China Town to the Bloomingdale's mall and went shopping there for a bit. Then shopping at Urban Outfitters. Then we took the greatest shuttle bus ever. Ordinarily, shuttle buses are boring and no fun at all. In fact, we wanted to take the trolley, but it was broken so we took the shuttle (which was free--love that!). We hop on and are on our way back to North Beach for dinner and then Ghiradelli for the car. This means that the closer we get the sooner I'll be home and sleeping.

The shuttle is a regular Muni bus. On the outside there is nothing exciting about it. We sat there riding along. Soon more passengers joined us on the bus. They too may have been a little sad and disappointed that they weren't going to be riding a trolley that night, but the fact that the shuttle was free, quickly cheered them up. The shuttle driver stops at a stop. A lady asks how much the ride is to which the driver replies: as much as you want $10/$20...just hop on. He was joking. She was confused. Good times. Well, on piled a bunch of high schoolers. They all walked to the back of the bus. I guess they decided they were going to sing for their fare. That's right. A high school a cappella group just joined our bus ride to North Beach. How wonderful! So, they sang. The parent chaperones clapped along to the rhythm. It was great. Unfortunately, we had to jump off of the shuttle bus during their second number (first encore). We later saw these kids again at Ghiradelli square--so touristy!

Then we ate dinner at one of my favorite little spots in Little Italy: Piazza Pelgrini. I discovered this place on open table when my parents were in town. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as good this time as it had been the first time. However, the balsamic vinegar was still amazing. I think the fact that we didn't Chuck Woolery this time may have doomed the experience.

Also, by this point in the day, Courtney had told her friends that I had a nice butt and they should all look at it. So, that's right, I was forced to try and never turn my back to her friends because they were staring at my butt the whole time.

Then we walk over to Ghiradelli. At this point, I'm thinking yes, we'll be to the car in no time and then I'll just sleep on the way home. No, we were going to Ghiradelli square. Why do all tourists want to go to Ghiradelli Square even if they've been there before. It's just chocolate and, quite frankly, I've had better. So, the boys and Courtney get ice cream while I sit there willing myself to stay awake.

Finally, we get to the car and drive home and I go to bed. The main reason I wanted to go home and go to bed (besides me being tired from a really long week at work) was the plan to wake up at dawn to drive to Half Moon Bay and go whale watching. So, I woke up early on a Saturday. The one day during the week that I get to sleep in and wake up without an alarm clock. I woke up before 7. We went to Jay's (yummmm!!!) and were on our way by 7:45.

Whale watching: something that actually sounded cool and was happy to participate in. I think because it was so early I wasn't yet coherent enough to form any expectations which is a good thing. We did get to see the spray or whatever it is called when the whale blows water out of his/her blow hole. We were really far away though so it just looked like little geysers or something. We did see one whale come up out of the water a bit and then head back under after it had blew the water out its blow hole. Basically, we sat there floating in the middle of the ocean just waiting and looking. It was fun and a nice pretty day for the middle of February (bless the bay area!).

Best part of whale watching: Dreamy-eyed Sean wasn't feeling so hot so he puked over the side of the boat. he he he he he. Later on, Chip wasn't feeling so hot so he too puked over the side of the boat. he he he he he he. Boys getting sea sick and puking: totally funny. I was fine and had no sea sickness at all.

Another good highlight: trying to go to the bathroom that they were hosing down thus causing a one-inch puddle over everything. I was trying to balance my coat, sweatshirt and camera while walking carefully to not get my pants wet. Then I had to hover over the seat because the toilet was all wet. It was quite a difficult task, and I'm proud to say I succeeded! Well done me.

Good thing I don't care what I look like because Saturday was not a glamor shot day, at all. First of all, in an effort to be prepared for the cold, I wore a beanie. This wreaks havoc on the bangs and the hair in general. Plus, all the salt water spray over my body. I got back to land and tried to make myself salt free and normal looking in the bathroom--it didn't work and I'm just barely back to my old self.

After whale watching I was hoping the plan was to go home and nap. Of course that wasn't it. We drove down to San Jose and went to the Winchester Mystery House. That lady was crazy. And in case you were all wondering, so not worth. Stay home and nap this day. However, the diner right next door is delicious. Honestly, I don't really remember what the food tasted like, but there is a dessert case full of the largest cakes I've ever seen in real life right when you walk into the restaurant. They were enormous. The only time I've ever seen anything even close was while watching Pollyanna. I always love that part at the carnival thing. Those cakes are enormous. I didn't eat one, but I like to support and sound my vote of approval for anyone and everyone making cakes that large...well done!

Again, I was secretly hoping that the next stop would be my bed...I'd almost given up any hope at this time. We were headed back to San Francisco. This time we went to Haight/Ashbury. I'm pleased to report that there is no longer a Gap on the corner...hurray, damn the big corporate conglomorate. First stop: a coffee shop. Then we walked down to Ardvark's. I've turned into a germ-o-phobic. I've never been a big fan of buying old clothes from other people, but have spent time sorting through items at the DI or Salvation Army. However, I'm much too old to do it now. I didn't even want to touch anything in the store. Courtney and I left and went shopping somewhere else. I bought some new tops and a dress. It was fun. I like shopping. Then we went to put our name on the list at Cha Cha Chas...two hour wait. It was already 7. I was becoming suicidal at this point. I just wanted my bed. So, to occupy ourselves during the two hour wait we went down the street to Amoeba records. I like music, but I'm not nearly as into it as everyone else. Therefore, I was bored within about 10 minutes. We probably loitered around there for about 30-45 minutes. Chip went off to check on the waiting list at Cha Cha Chas...still another hour to go. With the help of Courtney, we were able to talk the boys into getting food in Alameda--music to my ears. We were heading home. We ate dinner at Toomy Thai's--it's in Alameda and it is good. Then we went to the store quickly. And then finally, just when I didn't think it was actually going to happen, we got home, and I went to bed! Best sleep ever!

Sunday was stake conference which means church was only 2 hours and started 30 minutes later than usual. Awesome! Best part: we got home from church and the boys actually wanted to nap. That's right. I napped. I read, watched tv and napped for about 2 hours to occupy my time on Sunday. I did also go down and visit my sisters in Palo Alto. Kellie is in town. That will be the next blog.

So, following are all of the pictures from my trip with the boys to San Francisco.

6 comments:

courtney said...

You do have a very nice butt.

Natalie said...

This entry is entirely too long! Maybe your stories seem shorter when you email them to me???

alisa said...

Too long? Just imagine what the day felt like to me. I'm sorry about the length, I didn't want to exclude anything so you could all suffer with me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't have a good Saturday...The whale thing was a bust but Chip and Shawn puking was really funny! Oh and the winchester house is so worth it! I remember when we got back to the house...You said "hold all my calls" and shut your door. You were out asleep faster than me at fast and testimony meeting. Next time speak up and we'll take you home.

Cheers

Kana Ono Kuma Kolu

Anonymous said...

Sorry we made you want to kill yourself to death. Next time we'll bring you a wheel barrel. Those puking pictures are fantastic by the way.

Anonymous said...

PS. You conveniently left out the part where you got arrested for sodomy. Nice.