Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sing, Sing a Song

We concluded last nights' game festivites with a rousing game of Encore. For those unfamiliar with the game, you should get out more. This is a game all about singing songs. Two teams compete against each other to determine which team can sing more songs with the word "think" or girls names, etc in it.

The game was awesome...what's not to love about a game dedicated to singing songs at the top of your lungs--I don't believe that is mandatory but it is the natural result of the perfect song lyrics suddenly popping into your head. There are several strategies when playing this game. One would be to stick to one artist/band (the Beatles for instance) that sang so many songs that you are bound to get the word used in several of them. My strategy was to keep a stockpile of little known songs and try and pick out parts that the word was used. I didn't actually plan to do this but the Wilson Phillips song Release Me kept repalying in my head--I've no idea why. However, I was quite happy about that when the word we had to use was "release." Too bad the other team had a different song all ready and we had nothing else. I'd save the stockpile of songs after I had blurted out the first song that came to my head. For instance, "think" was the word. I instantly sang "I think we're alone now." The other team countered with "Think, think about what you're trying to do to me." Then we had to start using the stockpile...I don't remember what came next.

So, best song of the night: Billy Joel's Piano Man. That's right this song has several words in it that were used in the game: drink, melody, think...the list is endless. Plus, the tune is so great and everyone knows it that the other team is thrown off and can only sing the "la de da laddy da, de da, daddy da" over and over in their head making it impossible for a comeback song. I probably shouldn't be revealing my secrets, but it's too late now. Keep Piano Man in your back pocket next time you play Encore!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I played this game once in my college years, and was incredibly bad at it. Which is shocking since I'm the musical sherpa to my family's wanderings in the musical figurative forest, if you will. But apparently, I'm not so keen on knowing lyrics without the music actually playing. It's like Pavlov's salivating dogs. They only salivate to the sound of the bell. I can only produce lyrics at the sound of the music. Thus leaving me useless at this game.
I'm so ashamed.