Sunday, August 19, 2007

No More Pictures

I realize that my recent blog posts have been a little light on the pictures (read: there have been none). And I realize that for some of you this has been rough. I too love the pictures; it makes it easier to read...all those words for recreation? Exactly.

Well, I would like to blog with pictures, but I've had a death in the family. I went rafting yesterday and took the camera along and now I'm in the market for a new one. It is still undecided if the memory cards are going to give me access to all of my memories. I kind of hope so.

Now, you are probably thinking that it is my own stupid fault that my camera got wet and ruined when I chose to take it rafting. Let me explain. I've been rafting several times. Several. I go every year with my friends to the Snake river. I would never take my camera if it wasn't in a dry bag on that trip. There are actual rapids and you get wet on that river. So, last year I was super excited for the annual ward river trip. The plan was to raft the Russian River. I'd never been or heard anything about it. Silly me, I assumed that it would be like every other river I've gone down and include some rapids and some good times. Plus, with the ward we are guaranteed a little water fighting. Imagine my shock and disappointment when the river was about a foot deep and barely moving. We had to row the whole time if there was any chance of finishing that day. No rapids anywhere. No water fights either. I came out of there super dry. Nothing got wet. I had gone all prepared for Niagara falls and came out like I'd been in the Sahara desert.

August comes around again meaning the annual river trip is back on. New river this year. However, there are no rapids on this one either. I like to consider myself someone who learns from her lessons. Therefore, I didn't get all raft geared up and loaded up my backpack with supplies: granola bars, water, first aid kit and camera to capture the moments and God's green earth. Well it turns out this was a bad decision. We were drenched from water fights within 15 minutes. Everything got soggy. Even the food, nasty. Anyway, lots of fun and stories happened on the river last night. It was a good time. But among the damages was my camera. It was old and had had a good life. It had been to Europe and Seattle. It had a full successful life by providing me with memories and joy. Thank you camera. I hope I can find a cheap replacement that will make me just as happy. However, until then, there are no pictures on the blog.

4 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

I love my little Leica digital camera, but point and shoots can only do so much. I've recently become reallllllly jealous of my friend's digital slr (see older photos from andi andi andi link on my blog). They look beautiful!

Lori said...

So sad you had a death in the family. I had visions of the little gnome guy traveling but instead your poor camera. The sights it's seen! But alas, it gave up the ghost and went to Kodak heaven.

Good luck on finding a new camera. I need a new one Baa-haad. It takes my camera a full minute to recover after taking one pictures. I'm not capturing any of the special moments of my life unless they are equally spaced a 1-minute intervals.

Natalie said...

Will there be a funeral for this death? Surely you must have a proper buriel - but wait until you have a new camera so you can blog about it with pictures :)

kjjbaker said...

At least you didn't lose your glasses in the ocean (Oh yea you don't wear glasses) I will email you some pictures of our trip out to see you. Hopefully you can get the pics off you memory card