Monday, April 02, 2007

Dating Advice Tip #1

I am of the general opinion that when asking someone out on a date you should ask him/her about 2-4 days before the said date. It is also nice to ask with a tentative plan in mind, however that is another dating tip and blog entirely.

This is a tried and true formula. Any detour from it can lead to confusion and awkwardness. For instance, about three weeks ago I was talking on the phone with an old friend of mine from the mission whom I recently became reacquainted with out here in East Bay. He's a nice guy and we've gone out a couple of times. We were chatting on the phone talking about my upcoming busy travel schedule and his travel plans. Anyway, he said that we should get together on the 30th and do something. This was over three weeks ago, so I said sure knowing full well that I had absolutely no clue what in the world I would be doing on the 30th, but I could probably do something...I would worry about it more when it was actually closer.

Now, at first I thought this was totally awesome. Never before had I been asked out 3 weeks in advance. It made me feel super busy and in high demand. Which, let's face it, I totally am. So, I made a mental note not to make other plans for the 30th.

I went about my life for the next two weeks traveling and working like crazy. This guy's birthday showed up in the middle of these two weeks so I called him to wish him a happy one. Ended up leaving a voicemail and then got the reply text the following day. Based off of the text tone I assumed we were still on for the 30th, and he'd be calling the following week to make finite plans.

The next week comes and work sucks! I'm crazy busy with projects and things and suddenly realize that it is Wednesday night and I haven't heard from him yet. Hmmm, I begin to wonder if we are still actually going to do something on Friday, but don't worry too much assuming he'll probably call on Thursday. Thursday comes and goes and no call. Plus, I begin getting weekend event offers on Thursday...what am I to do? I can't make plans in case he calls because then I'm a jerk, but I can't sit around all day and wait for a call. Friday morning I buy a ticket to the baseball game thinking that if he calls with an actual plan I can eat the $10 cost of the ticket.

Friday night comes along and no call. I froze at the baseball game but had an awesome time with my friends! (Wish I'd had a blanket though, Greg!)

So, let's recap: I got asked out for a date 3 weeks in advance and then stood up! My life rocks!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Interesting. What guy asks three weeks in advance? This reminds me of my gay boyfriend...could he lean to same sex relations? Just asking.

I would be in the same quandry as you. I never like to be seen as "flaky" yet somehow planning on doing something that was mentioned three weeks earlier somehow gives the others the feeling of desperation. I say it's just living a Franklin-Covey-like lifestyle and that they should mind their own beeswax. Good for you for still doing something and not waiting around for the stupid guy.

Natalie said...

I think if we all collaborate - we could have a blog solely dedicated to dating tips. I like that idea very much!