Monday, April 23, 2007

Every Member a Missionary

Sunday was ward conference and theme was missionary work. Missionary work is a great topic; something that I think we can all work on. It was great timing. Just last week, I walked into my office and found a pamphlet with Jesus on the cover and Plan of Salvation across the top. Right away I recognized the mormon stock art and was thrilled someone thought to leave me information about my church. I giggled inside assuming that Anita had left it for me. I don't know why I thought it was Anita. Anita is the greatest. She's this 40 year old lady that lives with her mom in San Francisco. She grew up going to Catholic School and gives up treats and chocolate every year for lent. I'm so proud of her. I'm also grateful that my religion doesn't participate in lent. Who wants to go without candy for 40 days--you Catholics are amazing!

Back to the story. The pamphlet is still sitting on my desk so I am constantly reminded that somebody else was being a good member missionary. Who do you ask was the good member missionary. A stranger on the BART. Anita got on the BART one night after work. There was a window seat available. She kindly asked the gentleman in the suit sitting on the aisle on his way home from work if she could sit there. He got up and let her in. She thanked him and sat down. He then reached into his briefcase, pulled out the Plan of Salvation pamphlet and handed it to Anita. No words were exchanged. The man got off of the BART a few stops later. Never to see Anita again.

Anita could not throw the pamphlet away because it talked about God. Therefore as a God fearing woman, she passed it on to me. Thank you Anita. And thank you Mr. Member Missionary. I'm always afraid to be bold and invite others to learn about my religion, however, your example inspires me. Thank you.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

It's about damn time you posted a new entry.

On that note, I am also proud of the mystery member missionary. You should try it on your next bus ride to work and let me know how it goes.

Lori said...

Very difficult I think, being a missionary sometimes. I tried this past week whilst in L.A. to invite my Methodist friend to come to church with us. He refused, but we did have a nice conversation about the gospel. Hopefully, it was something...