Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Agony of a Blog

It's the start of the day at work so I'm catching up on my personal emails and seeing if anyone has left any comments on my blog. There are so many things that are possible in the world of blog that I have no clue about. It's a foreign language, practically.

For instance, at the top of the blog there is a Search Blog, Flag Blog and a Next Blog option that I can select. Hmmm, I wonder what Next Blog does. So I test it out. In my very scientific experiment 80% of the blogs are in a foreign language*. Wow! Even people in other countries are smarter than me and connecting with strangers via the world wide webernet.

Then I decided to see who is using my original idea for the perfect blog URL. I type in www.anyong.blogspot.com. It takes me to one page with one post that says something about how the owner of the blog is going to add posts in both Korean and English. This was posted in 2002! Seriously, the dude isn't even using my URL. Why can't I have it? I would only use it for good. Plus, 2002? Are you kidding me? Did they even have computers back then? What has the world come to that requires us to sign up 5 years in advance for a URL?

I'm really worried about this and thus began thinking about my own future. I don't have children now, I'm not currently pregnant, I don't foresee myself getting pregnant in the near future (3-6 months), I don't foresee myself having children in the next few years, I may not ever have children. However, as a citizen of humanity, shouldn't I be reserving URL and blog space for my maybe children that could possibly exist in the future? The pressure is getting to me. These hypothetical children don't even have names. Will they have personalities that I should take into consideration? How many will there be? Do you understand the anguish I'm in now?

More importantly, imagine I'm able to create wonderful URLs and reserve these amazing blog spaces for my future. How pathetic do I look when my life takes a different path and I'm left updating the blogs of imaginary children that I never had? Worse than owning cats I tell you, worse than cats!


*I clicked the next blog button like 10 times and there were a handful of foreign language blogs. There was also one about geeks which I lumped into the foreign language group because it was talking about computers and systems and stuff like that.

2 comments:

leslaz said...

hahahaha. I wish I could leave a better comment, but maybe later. Right now, I am laughing too hard.

courtney said...

I'm glad the foreseeable future is only 3-6 months, because you could easily be pregnant by October if Mr. Right comes along. At least then you won't get cancer. It may be too late for me, but you still have time!

By the by, I'm pretty sure you were on to something when you identified the imaginary-children-blogger as the cat-lady of the new millenium. Well done.